Caution lots of sarcasm and smiley faces are in this post. Proceed with caution.
So I am sitting there doting on Seeker giving him TONS of attention. It was more than usual. But we pretty much accept and give him attention based on what he can handle at the time. As I sat there I just thought to myself, this is hilarious. Here they are talking about how a baby should be independent, while I have an 8 year old who will not leave me alone. But, in Seekers defense I am REALLY REALLY awesome;D
All of my children liked to be held when they were babies. I toted them all over the place. And Goofball basically lived in a baby sling. Why? ....because I didn't want my babies to think they could be independent. I squashed that out of them early;D But, as Seeker got older and more of his ASD tendencies came out. He started avoiding us more and more, until we didn't really exist in his world. Luckily, he now acknowledges our existence.
Seeker isn't always rainbows and butterflies. In fact he can be quite cranky. It's like an emotional roller coaster. Like many chidlren on the spectrum when he is riled up sometimes he wants to be touched. And sometimes he doesn't. It varies moment to moment. And this did occur at Thanksgiving. Eventually we were able to help him and no meltdown occurred:)
But, don't worry. Through it all he remained the center of attention. Once he got his crankies out. He was getting lots of cuddles, and kisses again. Then he was getting his share of tickles from his great uncle (MIL's brother). It was absolutely adorable to see them interact. When the great uncle left with his wife/the (great) aunt She said, "You guys do a really good job with him" It caught me off guard because of two things. The first is that these types of things make me a little nervous to hear because I wonder what Seeker thinks when he hears it. So I just said something to the effect that "Seeker has his hands full raising two parents like us. But, he's doing what he can." And everyone laughed.
But, don't worry. Through it all he remained the center of attention. Once he got his crankies out. He was getting lots of cuddles, and kisses again. Then he was getting his share of tickles from his great uncle (MIL's brother). It was absolutely adorable to see them interact. When the great uncle left with his wife/the (great) aunt She said, "You guys do a really good job with him" It caught me off guard because of two things. The first is that these types of things make me a little nervous to hear because I wonder what Seeker thinks when he hears it. So I just said something to the effect that "Seeker has his hands full raising two parents like us. But, he's doing what he can." And everyone laughed.
And secondly I was caught off guard because I assumed she would be critical of our parenting style. Most people assume that there are right and wrong ways to raise children. But, its nice that people understand that some situations require a different approach or perspective. Do most 8 year olds jump into their moms lap and demand kisses? Probably not. But, this is where Seeker is at. And I like it a lot more than when he was avoiding us.
So while I don't really need your approval on how I raise my children. Sometimes I want it....sometimes I just want you to see that my way is correct too.
So while I don't really need your approval on how I raise my children. Sometimes I want it....sometimes I just want you to see that my way is correct too.

No comments:
Post a Comment