I have tons of composition journals full of the details of Princess and Seeker early years. I started them right after I had positive pregnancy tests. They have pictures of the pregnancy tests as their first entry.....I know. Gross, right? ;D Then weekly updates of how they were growing during the pregnancy courtesy of Baby Centers weekly emails. There is family genealogy, news articles....b/c they needed to know what was going on in the world when I was 27 weeks pregnant;D family stories, and accounts of my general excitement about being pregnant. Even things a boy doesn't want to know about like how his mom couldn't nurse him past 8 months b/c her employer made it hard to pump. Pretty standard stuff....for a weirdo to keep;D By the time I had Goofball I had pretty much given up on it b/c I was so busy. I just couldn't keep up.
I will probably regret letting people see this. But, I am going to post one of my journal entries. I think it really gives you a good view of where I was when I realized for sure that my oldest two were autistic. My husband didn't like the term autism. He wouldn't even look anything up about it online. So I felt like I was fighting a battle with him as well. But, I knew....in my heart (and yes I have one) that they were autistic even though I wasn't allowed to use the word. And yes....I knew Seeker was autistic by the time I made this entry shortly before his first birthday.
Funny how I thought I was done having kids.....read that one wrong too. My husband is super hot...so its not my fault;D
I know I wasn't a crappy mom. But, back then I felt like I was. And if I wasn't a bad mom God must be punishing me for something I did. I couldn't really think of anything bad I had to be punished for. But, I figured if I wasn't being punished, God must just hate me b/c he kept fucking me over time after time. God never had my back...and I didn't understand why. This was another thing I wasn't allowed to discuss. But, I'm not too worried about retribution from God now b/c I'm basically an atheist. Autism wasn't the reason....it was just the last straw. (I do have several graphics about how ridiculous it is to believe that a God is punishing people with autism. BTW- I'm not one of those that tries to ridicule people for their beliefs....I want people to believe in God. It gives people a lot of hope....and it keeps them in line;D )
Anyway, now here comes some sass that eventually saved me from my pit of despair.
I think you can see a bit of my personality that you are familiar with. Yes...my almost one year old can't tell anyone that I am a "bad mom" and that I feel like crap. I tried to make light of it. But damn....it still hurt me.



This is very brave of you. I hope nobody's a bitchhole but if they dare- f*ck 'em! Ok no, they don't deserve the pleasure ;D
ReplyDeleteSeriously. This is beautiful.
You are so funny:) So far no one has been a bitch hole.....I'm watching for them though....
DeleteThank you for your kind words:)
Thank you for sharing. I think these are words that all of us parents with kids on the spectrum have thought. I wanted "normal" - I wanted him to talk, I wanted him to be on schedule with his milestones and as it became more and more obvious he wasn't "normal" I was so so scared. I love him to pieces though so I know we're going to be okay.
ReplyDeleteI can relate. I love my kids so much. But, its scary if you let your mind run with your fears:/ But, love will make it ok:)
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhat a refreshing surprise to see such a deep part of your soul:) It's so nice to see the brutally human emotion under all the sass and sarcasm. And to be able to relate to every one. Bravo!!
ReplyDeleteThis is shocking stuff:D I bet you didn't even know I had a soul, did you? But, thank you.....I know I don't show this part of myself much:/
DeleteHi Kristi! I didn't realize you had started blogging again! I have somewhat abandoned mine. Maybe I will get back to it too! You are a great mom!! I don't believe God punishes us. I think it pains him as much as us when we hurt. We just don't see the big picture. God does see the big picture and plan for our lives and that's what faith is all about. Let go and let God! Love you!
ReplyDeleteIts so good to see you in my comments Kristy:)
Delete