Monday, September 8, 2014

Protecting those we love




 We went to the lake on Saturday. I love going in September because there isn't much in the way of crowds. In fact we were the only ones there for almost an hour. Then a birthday party showed up. Five little girls piled out of SUV, then they ran towards the beach. The adults arms full of balloons and boxes of food stationed themselves at the picnic tables at the other end of the beach. And before we knew it the girls were far away from their adults and were playing right next to us. Even though they could have used the other side of the beach. They seemed to have no intention of leaving. And why would they? We are awesome:) One of the little girls was throwing sand into the water. Seeker was sitting in a tub in the water enjoying the view. 





When it happened. The little girl threw another handful of sand. And a little bit of sand got close to Seeker. He didn't even notice it. But Goofball did. And little brother wasn't having it. Goofball started yelling, "What are you doing to my brother?" "Don't you hurt him." I assured him that the little girl didn't mean for that to happen. I showed him that she was trying to throw further away from him now. But, Goofball kept his eyes on them the rest of the time we were there. He told me he didn't want anything to happen to his brother. It was precious. Even though he yelled and acted incredibly distrustful of these girls. I don't think I have had a prouder moment as a parent. This was huge for us! Seeker has strained relationships with his siblings b/c of his issues. Even his high functioning ASD sister has a hard time understanding him sometimes. 

But, this situation gave me so much hope for what kind of brother Goofball will be when he is an adult. I want him to be the type of brother that will get in someones face if they mess with his sister or brother:) His brother and sister NEED and DESERVE someone who is going to watch out for them when my husband and I are gone.



No comments:

Post a Comment